History of the Surgery
A Wander Through the Last 130 Years
The surgery was founded by Dr Jim Greensaw in 1888.
The location was chosen because of its proximity to the TB sanatorium at Sunningdale and was run from Woodford House.
The surgery was taken over by Dr English in 1907 with Dr Fry following in 1918.
By 1922, Dr Roger Clarke, obstetrician and butterfly collector was running the practice and he remained the doctor at Knightwick for the next 40 years.
In 1952 another doctor joined, Dr Tony Parsons. He was a surgeon and dermatologist who enjoyed egg collecting and swimming in the river Teme.
Dr Anthony Collis joined the practice in 1978 and changes to legislation through Cameron’s Charter of 1966 allowed four part-time staff to be employed. He also utilised the FoxPro computer language to pioneer the first bar-coded dispensing system of its kind.
1974 saw the surgery move to present site beside the river. The brick extension came later in 1993.
Our first female doctor joined the practice in 1987, Dr Anne Lewis. Her interests lie in paediatrics & gynae and she became staff mentor. She was joined by Dr Bywater, our current Senior Partner.
2007 was the year of the great flood and staff spend 6 months running the Practice from portacabins in the car park. The community rallied round to help us dry out and keep our spirits up.
When Dr Collis retired in 2009 we were joined by Dr Jonathan Salter, who at the end of 2019 also retired.
When Dr Lewis retired a few years after Dr Collis, she was replaced by Dr Liz Hinton.
2020 –We now have a workforce of around 31 staff based in our company buildings with an additional 9 members of out-reach staff attached to the surgery. Our current partners are: Dr Andrew Bywater, Dr Elizabth Hinton, Dr Nicholas Moore & Dr Kirsty Ward